Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a really nice tasting cake when you can find a supply of persimmons in season.
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Crisco (vegetable shortening)
- 3 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 cup cherries, halved
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 cups persimmons (mashed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- Beat sugar and crisco together.
- Add eggs.
- Beat well.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- (Dough will be rather stiff).
- Add nuts, raisins and cherries.
- Add persimmons last and beat well.
- Bake in tube or Bundt pan for 2 hours in a preheated 350ºF oven.
- Test after 1 and 3/4 hours.
- Or bake in 2 loaf pans 3/4 full approximately 1 and 3/4 hours.
Here I was checking my recipes for the persimmon loaves I made last year so I could make it today....and what a surprise to find that I had not rated it! It was such a hit last X-mas as I gave several loaves away. People have asked me if I would make some for them again,and of course, I said yes. The only thing I will alter this time is to cut the cherries to half a cup and dice them. Reason being that I thought they drew the taste buds away from the persimmons. Thank you, LoveToCook, for such a lovely addition to my collection of sweet loaves.