Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the New Orleans Time Picayune. Freezes well.
Make and share this Persimmon Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl blend sugar and oil; add eggs and persimmon pulp.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices; add nuts and dates then mix well.
- Stir flour mixture into persimmon mixture. Turn into two greased and floured loaf pans. Bake for one hour or until done, testing center with a pick.
- Turn out on wire rack to cool. Freezes well.
AMAZING!!! Thank you SO much for posting this recipe. I wasn't sure what to do with frozen persimmons from my neighbor, and this recipe was head-on fantastic. I am from SW LA, so when I was it was posted in the New Orleans paper, I was sure it was a winner.
Changes: The only changes I made were to use Splenda instead of Sugar, 1/2 white whole wheat flour and 1/2 white, and substituted rasins. Along with the walnuts, I added glazed pecans for salad (great way to use up leftover salad topper!). Instead of making two large loaves, I put the mix into a mini-loaf pan and turned out with great little goodies for family & friends.
I couldn't wait for these to cool before I cut myself a slice, and then another. So good! Make sure to use the dates and walnuts because they really add to the texture and flavor. Every year my grandmother's tree produces more persimmons than our family could eat, so I strain the pulp and place in freezer bags. Defrost, and then I can enjoy them throughout the year! Made for ZWT 6 by an UNRuLy!
Received a bunch of persimmons from our CSA, which of course all went ripe at once. Followed the recipe as is, making 4 mini loaves , baked about 35 min. Recommend including the dates and walnuts, they really give a great flavor to the bread. Hubby took one loaf to work, said it was snarfed up in minutes! Thanks for posting, keeping on hand for the next batch of persimmons I get!