Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a different way of making persimmon bread, as compared to the recipes on this website... I use a combination of pureed persimmon & chopped pieces of persimmon to help bring out the flavor of the star: Persimmon. Also feel free to add more or less of the following ingredients. Enjoy!
- 1 cup persimmon
- 1 cup persimmon pulp
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted (optional)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 dash ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 dash vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Prehead over to 350*.
- Grease a loaf pan, muffin pan or bundt pan and set aside. (to prevent possible sticking to the dish, use parchment paper or even tin foil).
- Combine pulp and baking soda. Let stand for 5 minutes to thicken pulp.
- In another bowl, combine, sugar, oil, applesauce, eggs, salt and all seasonings.
- In another bowl, combine the chopped persimmon with 1 tbsp of flour to prevent persimmon from sinking to the bottom in the batter and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine 1 tbsp of flour with the pecans and or raisins and set aside.
- Mix in pulp mixture and 3 cups flour alternately.
- Fold in nuts, raisins and persimmon into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Then cover top of bread with tin foil to prevent burning and bake 30 minutes longer or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool onto a rack and serve.
- Can also freeze.