Recipe by GrammaJeanne
These are very sweet, which is why the bars are cut into small pieces, but the flavor is wonderful. There is a similar recipe on Zaar, but it has some differences and seems the method was giving reviewers a problem so I thought I'd post this as an alternative.
Top Review by LonghornMama
Yummy! Delicious moist bars, perefct for Fall. Persimmon flavor is more pronounced than in other baked goods I've tried, and dates are a nice addition. The lemon glaze is very tart, mostly lemon juice, but it' really highlights the flavors in the bar. I used very ripe Fuyu persimmons and did not feel that these were overly sweet. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 1 1⁄4 cups persimmons, diced fine
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (or pecans)
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix baking soda into diced persimmons (they will be nearly pulp, but have a few chunks left).
- In a large bowl, lightly beat egg, stir in sugar, oil, 1 Tblsp lemon juice and dates.
- Combine flour with salt and spices in a separate bowl.
- Add flour mixture to date mixture, alternating with persimmons, just until well blended.
- Stir in nuts and spread evenly in 10 x 15" jelly roll pan that has been greased and floured.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes (test for doneness with a pick). Cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix powdered sugar with 2 Tblsp lemon juice and drizzle over bars.
- Cool completely and cut into 1 x 1 1/2" bars.