Recipe by sofie-a-toast
You NEED to try these. A very unusual and delicious recipe that has been passed down in the family for years.
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
Different and tasty! I didn't have raisins in the house (I don't like them), so I subbed in Craisins instead, which were perfect in this. My persimmon wasn't quite as soft as I thought, so it mashed into a very chunky puree which left detectable bits of persimmon here and there (not a bad thing). I topped the bars with Kittencal's Recipe#90142 (with half vanilla and half coconut extract). They remind me a little bit of the Starbucks Cranberry Bliss bars, texture-wise. Oh, and I used chopped pecans for the nuts. Usually I pass over things with raisins and nuts in them, but I would definitely make these again. Thanks for posting! Made for The Honeys for ZWT8
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 1 cup nuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 soft persimmon (make sure it's really really ripe)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter and then beat in the sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well.
- Peel and mush the persimmon, mix it with the baking soda, and then add to the creamed mixture.
- Add the flour, spices and salt.
- Blend in lemon rind, raisins and nuts.
- Turn into a greased 13 by 9 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30min.
- Frost with your favorite icing.