You NEED to try these. A very unusual and delicious recipe that has been passed down in the family for years.
- Cream the butter and then beat in the sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well.
- Peel and mush the persimmon, mix it with the baking soda, and then add to the creamed mixture.
- Add the flour, spices and salt.
- Blend in lemon rind, raisins and nuts.
- Turn into a greased 13 by 9 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30min.
- Frost with your favorite icing.
Different and tasty! I didn't have raisins in the house (I don't like them), so I subbed in Craisins instead, which were perfect in this. My persimmon wasn't quite as soft as I thought, so it mashed into a very chunky puree which left detectable bits of persimmon here and there (not a bad thing). I topped the bars with Kittencal's Kittencal's Best Cream Cheese Frosting (Extra Creamy Option) (with half vanilla and half coconut extract). They remind me a little bit of the Starbucks Cranberry Bliss bars, texture-wise. Oh, and I used chopped pecans for the nuts. Usually I pass over things with raisins and nuts in them, but I would definitely make these again. Thanks for posting! Made for The Honeys for ZWT8
Made these to take to another one of the numerous holiday potlucks & they were definitely a big hit! I made the recipe more for the raisins than anything else (I'm a big fan of 'em!), but it really was the persimmon that makes these so special! A real keeper of a recipe! Almost forgot to let you know that I did top them with a very thin layer of cream cheese frosting! [Made & reviewed in Newest Zaar tag game]