Recipe by COOKGIRl
Local recipe. For a vegetarian version, substitute any seasonal vegetable such as eggplant, summer squash/zucchini, acorn squash, portabello mushrooms, etc. either grilled or roasted. *FRESH* herbs only, please! Even quicker to prepare if you use leftover shredded meat or vegetables!
Top Review by Annacia
I made two taco's for my dinner a short while back. Used ground beef (what I had) and Zatar seasoning as I had just made fresh batch of it. Veggies of choice were: olives, diced tomato, green leaf lettuce and fresh mint. Topped with yogurt with a bit more Zatar in it for a really yummy change of pace.
- 6 -8 corn tortillas (5 inch, I made my own using masa harina dry mix)
- fresh Baby Spinach (or combination, can also sub your favorite salad greens like butter lettuce, red leaf, etc.) or fresh baby arugula (or combination, can also sub your favorite salad greens like butter lettuce, red leaf, etc.)
- tomatoes, diced small
- lime slice
- yellow hot chili pepper (we like yellow jalapenos)
- green onion, thinly sliced
- red onion, diced small
- cucumber, diced small
- avocado, diced small
- fresh cilantro
- fresh basil
- of fresh mint
- plain yogurt, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb shredded lamb or 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely minced (I used 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic because my fresh garlic had gone bad)
- salt or pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 -2 teaspoon sumac, to taste
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Prep the garnishes and arrange on a serving platter. Cover until ready to use and set aside or refrigerate.
- In a large skillet heat up olive oil on medium heat. Brown the ground beef until half way cooked then add the garlic. Cook until the meat is no longer pink; approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from stove and season meat with salt and pepper, to taste. Now stir in about 1 tablespoon of pomegranate molasses and 1 teaspoon of sumac. Taste test. Add more of either-to your preference.
- Serve the meat warm with the corn tortillas and platter of garnishes. We served simple dark red kidney beans on the side which were lightly seasoned with cumin powder, salt and pepper. I also slightly mashed the beans, too.