1/1 Photo of Persian-Style Red Lentil and Tomato Soup
Sephardi Kitchen's Note:
This tangy soup is low-fat, quick and easy to prepare! It is a copycat-of a-copycat recipe from the soup served at Reza's, a Persian restaurant in Chicago (so called because I have never been to Reza's, but once had someone else's imitation of it!). Sumac powder and dried limes can both be found at Middle Eastern groceries or ethnic stores.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 carrot, chopped finely
- 1 celery, chopped (optional)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup red lentil, rinsed
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped (or 2tbs dried)
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 -2 tablespoon sumac
- 1 dried lime (strongly preferred, but can substitute with 1/4 c lime or lemon juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Cook until the onion is softened.
- 2Stir in the turmeric and paprika. Add tomatoes and stock along with the dried lime. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes. If the dried lime is still floating, cut it in half with a knife or kitchen scissors now that it is softened.
- 3Add the lentils, return to a simmer. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- 4Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree half the soup, return to the pot.
- 5Add sumac and parsley/other herbs, cook 5 minutes longer.
- 6Serve hot with bread and a dollop of yogurt (optional).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Persian-Style Red Lentil and Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.2
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 22.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: