Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I think it comes from Gordon Ramsay's Healthy Appetite
Make and share this Persian Style Onion Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 700 ml vegetables or 700 ml chicken stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 3 flat leave parsley sprigs, coriander
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil, the onions and some seasoning. Cover and seat for 12-15 minutes until the onions are soft, lifting the lid and stirring occasionally.
- Add the spices, dried mint and remaining oil, then stir in the flour, cook, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes.
- Gradually pour in stock, whisking as you do so to prevent any lumps forming.
- When it has all been added, drop in the cinnamon stick and simmer over a low heat, partially covered with the lid, for 30-40 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and sugar, then taste and adjust the seasoning. Discard the cinnamon stick. Ladle the soup into warm bowls and scatter over the herbs to serve.
*Superb* I've had lots of onion soups before, but they have all had a beef broth base. This is so good with chicken. I also loved the spices, and I'd certainly not thought of adding cinnamon and mint. This is definately a keeper. I did have a problem finding fenugeek though. I found on the internet where you could substitute with mustard seed. I don't understand that, as apparently fenugeek has a bit of a licorice taste, but I went with the mustard seeds anyway. :D Thanks littlemafia for a wonderful taste experience. Made for: Soup is On! ~ Jan 2010 - Diabetic Forum
Delicious! So full of flavor! I made this just as written, but my mint was fresh. This is even better when reheated since the flavors have time to meld. The fresh cilantro garnish is a must. Thanx for sharing!
I do appreciate the ability to purchase so many things through Amazon, & that was where I got my fenugreek seeds for this recipe! I kept this vegetarian as I included some homemade vegetable stock that I usually have onhand! Most definitely enjoyed this one over any other onion soups I've had previously! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed while in the Middle East with ZWT6]