Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I like to add in a pinch of cayenne pepper and saffron also but that is optional, this is very good! :)
- 59.16 ml butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 29.58 ml fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 118.29 ml slivered almonds
- 354.88 ml uncooked basmati rice
- 118.29-177.44 ml raisins
- 9.85 ml turmeric (can use more to taste)
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml salt (or to taste)
- 709.77 ml low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; add in onions and almonds, saute for 6-7 minutes or until the onion are tender and the almonds are golden, adding in the fresh garlic the last 2-3 minutes of sautéing.
- Stir in rice, raisins, turmeric, cinnamon, salt and broth; bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Season with black pepper.
Delicious Recipe and esay too. I left out the almonds because I didnt have any. I made this in my rice cooker as follows: 1. I melted 2 Tb of butter & 2 Tb light olive oil in a pan . 2. I sauted the chopped onions until translucent-over medium. 3. I added the chopped garlic and sauted about 1 min more. 4. I added the rice ( well rinsed), spices ( including the pinch or saffron and cayenne) and raisins and mixed well and sauted for another minute ( maybe a bit more) so that the rice/spice/onions/garlic/raisins all mixed together and the rice was sauted also. 5. I poured the mix into the rice cooker and added the chicken stock-I used about 2 3/4 cup of chicken stock-I find that the rice cooker uses less liquid. 6. I let the rice cooker cook in the white rice setting. Thanks KITTENCAL for another great recipe
Thanks again for another keeper! I added about 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. The only other slight change that I made was that I added the rice at the same time as the garlic to somewhat toast the rice as well for about 3 minutes before adding the broth, spices and raisins.
This was a wonderful side dish ~ Thank you so much for the recipe! :)