1/2 Photos of Persian Stew - Gormeh Sabzi
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Pesto lover's Note:
For ZWT 6 - Middle East. I got this recipe from the LA Times about 15 years ago. While it is pretty labor intensive compared to most cooking today, it is worth the effort. I love this dish. It is so delicious and healthy too. You can get the dried limes in any kind of middle eastern or Armenian market. They are sold with the dried spices, in larger bags. If you can't find mustard greens, use arugula (rocket). Beef can be substituted for the lamb if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean lamb, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 whole dried limes
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 cups water
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, stems removed
- 1 bunch mint, stems removed
- 1 bunch spinach, stems removed
- 1 bunch mustard greens, stems removed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1Simmer lamb, whole dried limes, garlic and water in a stew pot until meat is tender, about 1 hour. Skim scum from pot.
- 2Meanwhile, wash all greens very, very well and drain in a colander.
- 3After lamb is tender, strain stock and skim off any fat. Put meat and dried limes aside in a bowl for the moment.
- 4Bring the stock to a boil in the stew pot. Add greens and simmer until well wilted. Cool and puree greens in food processor. Leave it with some texture, not a smooth puree. I use the "pulse" feature.
- 5Return greens to pot and add lamb, limes, kidney beans, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Simmer to allow flavors to blend and sauce to thicken, about 10-15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6Remove limes to serve.
- 7Serve with steamed white basmati rice. Some people like to put a dollop of plain yogurt on the stew to serve.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Persian Stew - Gormeh Sabzi
Serving Size: 1 (552 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.5
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 72.7 mg
- Sodium 478.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 32.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: