Cook1 hr 30 mins
For ZWT 6 - Middle East. I got this recipe from the LA Times about 15 years ago. While it is pretty labor intensive compared to most cooking today, it is worth the effort. I love this dish. It is so delicious and healthy too. You can get the dried limes in any kind of middle eastern or Armenian market. They are sold with the dried spices, in larger bags. If you can't find mustard greens, use arugula (rocket). Beef can be substituted for the lamb if desired.
- 1 lb lean lamb, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 whole dried limes
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 cups water
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, stems removed
- 1 bunch mint, stems removed
- 1 bunch spinach, stems removed
- 1 bunch mustard greens, stems removed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Simmer lamb, whole dried limes, garlic and water in a stew pot until meat is tender, about 1 hour. Skim scum from pot.
- Meanwhile, wash all greens very, very well and drain in a colander.
- After lamb is tender, strain stock and skim off any fat. Put meat and dried limes aside in a bowl for the moment.
- Bring the stock to a boil in the stew pot. Add greens and simmer until well wilted. Cool and puree greens in food processor. Leave it with some texture, not a smooth puree. I use the "pulse" feature.
- Return greens to pot and add lamb, limes, kidney beans, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Simmer to allow flavors to blend and sauce to thicken, about 10-15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove limes to serve.
- Serve with steamed white basmati rice. Some people like to put a dollop of plain yogurt on the stew to serve.
Ghorme sabzi is one of my favourite Persian dish. I used bag of dried herbs and more limes. Served with Persian rice and Shirazi salad.
Having made this dish many times, I used a little different technique. I fried one onion and I added the herbs. I browned the meat as well. And I pierced the dried limes,to release flavor. A very delicious stew. I used a pack of dried herbs and I added some fresh parsley and cilantro. I cooked the stew in a pressure cooker and I liked the addition of cinnamon. Made for ZWT6