1/1 Photo of Persian Split Pea and Barley Stew
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This comes from my Moosewood Low-Fat cookbook. I think this could be OAMC and/or made in the crock pot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup raw barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dried split yellow peas
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and cut in 1 inch chunks
- 2 cups potatoes, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper
- 1In a medium saucepan, bring the barley, bay leaf, garlic and 2 cups of water to a boil.
- 2Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3Add the split peas, cardamom, cinnamon and the remaining water and simmer, covered for another 45 minutes, or until the barley and split peas are soft and most of the liquid has absorbed.
- 4Stir occasionally and, if necessary, add a small amount of additional water to prevent the mixture from sticking.
- 5While the barley and split peas are cooking, place the onions, carrots, potatoes, salt, cayenne, and stock in a large saucepan.
- 6Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 10 minutes.
- 7Stir in the tomatoes and continue to simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- 8Add the cooked barley and split peas. Stir in the parsley, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Discard the bay leaf.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Persian Split Pea and Barley Stew
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 360.3
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 924.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.3 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 18.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: