Cook1 hr 30 mins
This comes from my Moosewood Low-Fat cookbook. I think this could be OAMC and/or made in the crock pot.
- 1⁄2 cup raw barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dried split yellow peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and cut in 1 inch chunks
- 2 cups potatoes, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring the barley, bay leaf, garlic and 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the split peas, cardamom, cinnamon and the remaining water and simmer, covered for another 45 minutes, or until the barley and split peas are soft and most of the liquid has absorbed.
- Stir occasionally and, if necessary, add a small amount of additional water to prevent the mixture from sticking.
- While the barley and split peas are cooking, place the onions, carrots, potatoes, salt, cayenne, and stock in a large saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and continue to simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the cooked barley and split peas. Stir in the parsley, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Discard the bay leaf.