Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- ground cinnamon (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup drained yogurt (see "Draining Yogurt" box)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped of fresh mint or 1 tablespoon dill
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
- Discard the spinach stems. Wash and drain the leaves, then chop coarsely.
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan. Add the onion and a generous pinch of cinnamon, if using, and cook over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the spinach and cook until it wilts, stirring often. Drain well and let cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice and mint or dill. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with the spinach and taste for seasoning. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with walnuts and more herbs. Serve at room temperature with pita bread.
This is tasty. One time I topped with toasted pine nuts as DH doesn't like walnuts.I use baby spinach leaves, the cinnamon, less garlic but will try with the full amount sometime, Balkan (thick) yogurt without draining, unrefined extra virgin olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, fresh mint, no dill, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, chopped mint on top, plus the rest of the ingredients. We eat this with rice dishes. I would make this again.