Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from Sephardic Cooking, by Copeland Marks.
- 2 lbs fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs
- Wash the spinach well. Drain. Put in a pot with the 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.Let stand for 5 minutes more to reduce the bulk. Cool and press out the liquid that accumulates. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the onions, salt, turmeric and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes over moderate heat.
- Add the spinach and stir fry for 3 minutes more. Remove skillet from the heat.
- Make 6 depressions into the spinach. Break one egg into each depression.
- Return the skillet to low heat. Fry for 5 minutes or enough to set the eggs firmly.