Recipe by maureen.wilkins
A golden-coloured casserole with a mellow spiced flavour. An easy supper dish to serve with Basmati rice. Adapted from Slow Cooker book by Sara Lewis.
Top Review by cookingpompom
I made this two nights ago and forgot to rate it, overall I think this is a great base recipe and has so much potential - it needs veggies and a can of chick peas. It was too salty for my liking and think veggies (carrots, potato, sweet potato - winter vegetables) would suit this recipe perfectly. I will make this again - but with the above changes, thanks for taking the time to post this recipe.
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cloves
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 450 ml chicken stock (made from 2 chicken Oxo cubes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slash each piece of chicken 2 or 3 times with a sharp knife.
- Mix the flour, turmeric and paprika in a small plastic bag.
- Shake the chicken pieces in it to coat them thinly.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion and garlic to the frying pan and fry, stirring for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Stir in the remaining spiced flour and stir into the onion and garlic mixture.
- Add the cloves, ginger and some pepper.
- Pour in and gradually incorporate the stock.
- Bring to the boil stirring.
- Pack the chicken joints into the slow cooker and pour in the hot stock mixture. Cover with the lid.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, then on medium for another 4 hours (or on medium for longer).