Recipe by UmmBinat
Beautiful, colour, aroma & flavour used in Persian foods. This is specifically called for in Iranian Chicken With Turmeric, Saffron, and Lemon Juice & Persian Rice With Barberries (Zereshk Polow). Lovely to have on hand if you enjoy saffron. So far I have just made an amount to use immediately in whatever it is I am making. Idea gleaned from http://mypersiankitchen.com
Top Review by Elmotoo
it was fun grinding. :) how much water? i ended up adding 1/2c. I made enough for a recipe. i wonder if the sugar throws off the flavor of a savory recipe? Very easy to make & have on hand. Made for Aussie Swap 5/12.
Directions See How It's Made
- You also need a mortar & pestle.
- Put equal amounts of saffron & white sugar in your mortar. Grind together using the pestle.
- Boil some water. (A Turkish coffee maker pot works well as it holds a small amount).
- Add some of the hot water to the saffron mixture (1 tbs to about 1/8- 1/4 tsp Iranian saffron) and pour into a spice bottle. Cover & give it a nice shake.
- Open the lid and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Store bottle in the fridge and use as needed.