Recipe by UmmBinat
"Rice with mung beans (maash polow) is a delightful summer dish, light, simple and delicious. Mung beans are good in soups, salads and are super delicious when cooked with rice, sauteed onions and a heavy pinch of turmeric, slowly over low heat. I like to use equal portions of rice and beans for this dish. If you like you can add another 1/2 cup of rice to the recipe." Along with the serving options I also think dibs (date syrup) and Balkan yogurt separately would work well together with this dish but have yet to try. That way it would make it more of an Iraqi version since the best date syrup comes from Iraq. Recipe modified from http://turmericsaffron.blogspot.com
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried mung beans, picked over and washed
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄3 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- oil or butter
- sea salt
- thick yogurt, to serve (or Mast-O Khiar, Persian Yogurt and Cucumber Dip such as Mast-O Khiar (Persian Yogurt and Cucumber Dip))
- date syrup, to serve (Dibis in Arabic, found in Middle Eastern or health food stores)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium pot, place the beans and add 3-4 cups of water over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook on medium to low heat for about 30-40 minutes until the beans are soft.
- In the meantime, in a non-stick heavy bottom pot with a tight fitting lid, heat 4 tablespoons of oil or butter and saute the chopped onions until they turn golden, add turmeric and cumin. Stir thoroughly.
- Add the mung beans to the onions, mix gently and cook them together for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pot and enough water to cook the type and amount of rice you use. Add sea salt to taste. Bring to a boil, place a clean soft kitchen cloth between the lid and the pot to absorb the excess moisture and close the lid tightly. (I didn't do this part).
- Cook for 30 minutes on low heat.
- Serve warm on a platter with plain yogurt dibis, date syrup or Mast-O Khiar - Persian Yogurt and Cucumber Dip such as recipe#252416.