Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A very easy Persian rice recipe. I am suspecting that the curry powder called for is really advieh/baharat or a similar Persian spice mix. From the cookbook Vegetarian Planet by Didi Emmons. Only a few alterations were made with this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup white basmati rice, rinsed under cold water in a fine mesh sieve
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- orange peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups water (not broth)
- 3 tablespoons roasted pistachios
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins (sultanas)
- In a saute pan heat the butter over medium heat. Add the rice and saute for about 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until the grains begin to turn golden.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, garlic, orange peel, cinnamon and curry powder. Saute another minute, stirring until the mixture starts to smell fragrant. Now add the water, cover the pan, turn down the heat to a simmer.
- Cook the rice for 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the pistachios and golden raisins/sultanas. Remove the orange peels before serving or warn everyone not to eat them.