Recipe by UmmBinat
Nice light flavoured naturally-wheat free cookies from Iran. They are similar to ghorabeyeh, an Arabian Gulf shortbread cookie. The addition of eggs in this results in a fluffy, delicate texture. If rice flour is unavailable, grind raw rice or cream of rice to a fine powder in a coffee or spice grinder. This is a really light, fragrant cookie and is especially good with tea or (rice/moo) milk. Modified mainly from http://dessertofthemonthclub.blogspot.com by Kat.
Top Review by Katzen
These are very delicious cookies! I used pistacious and after finding I had two bottles of orange blossom water and not one each of rose and orange like I thought, sent DH out for some rose water. He came back with two kinds, and I used the lighter scented one, which worke out well. The cardamom is light and lovely in these cookies and we just love them! Thanks so much for posting them - they're going right into my favorites book! Thanks, UmmBinat! Made for 1-2-3 Hits.
- 78.07 ml canola oil
- 158.51 ml confectioners' sugar (regular white sugar works too!)
- 2 eggs (May use egg replacer)
- 29.58 ml iranian rose water
- 532.32 ml rice flour
- 1.23 ml baking powder (make sure gluten-free if on GF diet)
- 3.69 ml ground cardamom
- ground roasted pistachio nuts (to garnish) or poppy seed (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the canola oil and white sugar.
- Beat eggs and add along with the rose water to the sugar mixture.
- Add the white rice flour, baking powder and cardamom and blend into a thick dough.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180°C Line a cookie sheet with baking paper or oil lightly.
- Take a spoonful of dough the size of a walnut, roll into a ball between your palms, flatten slightly, and place on the cookie sheet. Repeat, leaving about an inch between cookies.
- Sprinkle the ground pistachios on top or poppy seeds if using.
- Place cookie sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 15-22 minutes, or until firm and cracked on top. They should still be quite white but have a slight golden bottom.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the paper, and be careful these cookies crumble very easily.
- Store in an airtight container until serving.