Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love these melting-in-your-mouth cookies! For chewier cookies, refrigerate the dough beforehand and bake it for a shorter period. For crispier ones, bake the dough longer or refrigerate the baked cookies.They'll flatten out during baking so leave enough space between them.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron, crumbled
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sultanas or 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- Ccream butter and sugar with mixer on medium speed until fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla, saffron and salt. Beat to blend. On low speed, beat in flour until moistened.
- Stir in raisins.
- Scoop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls.
- Roll 1 to 1-1/4-inch balls. Place balls 3 inches apart on baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Bake one batch at a time in centre of preheated 350F oven until browned at the edges and golden on top, 12 to 14 minutes.
These cookies were really very nice. The saffron gave them an extra touch. I chilled the dough just because I had something else in the oven at the moment and the cookies had to wait. The result was a chewy, not overly sweet cookie which baked for 14 minutes. I got 44 cookies out of the dough but I might have made them a tad too large.
I was really pleased to have tried this recipe and will certainly make again.
Thanks for posting.
Really awesome..tastes just like the ones from the Iranian store..even better! Thanks!
YUM, YUM, YUM!!! Little, what a great treat these cookies are! They are definitely different from any cookie I have ever eaten before, but oh so good! :) Luved the addition of saffron to the dough, it made for a very unique taste. The raisins balanced that out nicely and added a lovely sweetness. I dont like my cookies too sweet, so I reduced the sugar down to 1/4 cup. I know that this way the recipe probably isnt as authentic anymore, but it was so yummy! :) Even though I made my cookie balls quite small I only got 28 cookies out of the recipe and those were gone faster than I could look. :) THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this winner with us! Made for Sweet Traditions Tag Game November 09.