Prep 12 mins
Cook 15 mins
delicious , aromatic and tasty meal . comes from the heart of Iran , the taste that makes you fly !!!
For the Meatballs
- 1 small onion, completely chopped
- 354.88 ml raw pistachios
- 59.14 ml breadcrumbs
- 473.18 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 236.59 ml fresh tarragon, chopped
- 236.59 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 14.79 ml fresh lime juice
- 4.92 ml red pepper flakes
- 4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 14.79 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml salt
- 907.18 g ground lamb
- 1 egg
- 118.29 ml canola oil or 118.29 ml olive oil
For the Glaze
- 177.44 ml pomegranate molasses
- 59.14 ml honey or 59.14 ml grape molasses
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes
For the Garnish
- 29.58 ml chopped pistachios
- 1 sprig basil
- mixed sprouts
- 236.59 ml fresh pomegranate
- To make the meatballs: Pulse all the ingredients, except the meat and egg, in a food processor until you have a grainy paste.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the meat and egg. Lightly knead with your hands for a few minutes (do not over mix).
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 500?F. Generously oil a wide, nonreactive baking dish (wide enough to fit 24 meatballs, about 12x14 inches) and set aside.
- Remove the paste from the refrigerator and shape into bite-sized balls (about 1 1/2 tablespoons each, you can use an ice cream scoop) and place the meatballs in the baking dish and brush well with oil. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients for the glaze. It is important that you taste the glaze and be sure that it has a good balance between sweet and sour—add more honey if the pomegranate molasses you have used is too sour.
- Reduce the oven to 400?F. Glaze the meatballs and bake for another 5 minutes to infuse them with the flavor of the pomegranate. Adjust seasoning to taste. If too sour add more honey; if too sweet add more pomegranate molasses. Keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.
- Place the meatballs with its sauce in deep serving dish and garnish.
Thanks for a great recipe. I am a dietetic intern and a blogger. Today is a national pistachio day a and this recipe is a perfect recipe to share with my readers.
Fascinating, unique recipe! We loved these flavorsome lamb meatballs as part of meze. This made 48 X 1" meatballs. I did increase salt to 1 tbs and that was about right for the 2 lb of meat and all the rest of it, for us. So delicious and easy to make. Bit crumbly when eating, so might try using 2 eggs next time.