1 hr 20 mins
This not-overly sweet chiffon cake filled with rose-scented whipped cream is inspired by the aromatics found in Persian, Turkish, and Indian confections. Cardamom seeds have more flavor than the ground powder and are like little explosions of spice in the cake. From Bon Appetit, June 2005. I would recommend baking it in one 8 x 3 inch cake pan (for approximately 40 minutes) and slicing into three layers. You can also use more filling between the layers (1 1/2 to 2 cups), otherwise there will be a lot leftover. Preparation time does not include candied rose petal drying.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Candied rose petals
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- rose petal, from 2 organic roses
- 1 cup cake flour
- 14 tablespoons baker's sugar or 14 tablespoons superfine sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cardamom seed, coarsley ground if desired (removed from about 5 green cardamom pods)
- 1For candied rose petals: Whisk egg whites in small bowl until foamy.
- 2Using pastry brush, brush rose petals on both sides with egg whites; sprinkle on both sides with sugar.
- 3Dry on nonstick rack at least 6 hours or overnight.
- 4For cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 5Butter two 8-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides.
- 6Line pan bottoms with parchment paper; butter parchment.
- 7Sift flour, 7 tablespoons baker's sugar, baking powder, and salt into large bowl. Whisk yolks and next 4 ingredients in small bowl until smooth.
- 8Add yolk mixture to dry ingredients; whisk until smooth.
- 9Beat egg whites in medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- 10Gradually add 7 tablespoons baker's sugar; beat until whites resemble thick marshmallow fluff.
- 11Fold whites into batter in 3 additions. Divide batter between prepared pans.
- 12Bake until cakes are golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- 13Cool in pans on racks 15 minutes.
- 14Turn out onto racks, peel off parchment, and cool completely (Can be prepared 1 day ahead- Wrap and store at room temperature.).
- 15For frosting: Combine 1/2 cup cream and saffron in small saucepan- Bring to simmer. Remove from heat; let steep 20 minutes.
- 16Chill until cold.
- 17Beat remaining 2 cups cream, powdered sugar, and rose water in large bowl until soft peaks form; strain in saffron cream- Beat until peaks form.
- 18Place 1 cake layer, flat side up, on platter. Spread 1 cup frosting over.
- 19Top with second cake layer, flat side down. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- 20Chill at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours. Garnish cake with rose petals and pistachios.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Persian Love Cake
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 597.7
- Calories from Fat 335
- Total Fat 37.2 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 181.2 mg
- Sodium 191.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 44.8 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: