Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Serve with cooked basmati rice.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh okra
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 lbs stewing lamb or 2 lbs beef, cut into small pieces
- 1 lb potato (optional)
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 -4 tablespoons tomato paste
- cooking oil
- salt and black pepper
- Peel and thinly slice onions, then fry in oil until slightly golden.
- Wash and cut meat into small pieces and fry in onions and garlic until meat becomes opaque.
- Add 3 cups of hot water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes, adding more hot water during cooking if needed.
- When meat is tender, wash okra and remove stems.
- Add whole okra, salt, pepper and tomato paste to the meat and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Take care not to overcook the okras so that they do not become slick textured.
- Add lime juice, adjust seasoning and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- If you wish to use potatoes, wash, peel, and cut them into small pieces, and add to stew when meat becomes tender, allowing 10-15 minutes of cooking before adding okra.
We enjoyed this dish. I made it exactly as directed. I think the addition of some other spices would make this 5 stars. Thanks for sharing your recipe.