Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A lovely, healthy, Persian dish, which can easily be made with cuts of beef. Try it in place of your usual stew some evening! :)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb shoulder, finely diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 10 green onions, chopped thin
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped celery leaves
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2⁄3 cup cooked garbanzo beans or 2⁄3 cup cooked red kidney beans, drained
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large heavy pan, and saute the lamb until well browned on all sides.
- Add the onion, cooking until soft, then add salt, pepper to taste, turmeric, lemon juice, and water, bringing to a boil.
- Lower heat and cover, simmering for 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a skillet and saute the onions, celery leaves, spinach, and parsley for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add these vegetables and the chickpeas to the meat and mix together thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer another 20 minutes, or until meat is tender, adding water as necessary to keep up with consistency.
- Serve with steamed basmati rice.
The key ingredient for this dish is an herb called shambalileh / fenugreek / menthi depending on the language one speaks. As a matter of fact I am cooking the stew right now in my slow cooker. The herbs I use are parsley, geen onions and said shambalileh which gives the stew its distinct flavor. I gave it a 2 star rating because the key ingredient is missing.
Qormeh Sabzi si made it red kidney beans . I would add some fresh dill too.Instead of the beans , fried potato cubes can be added at the end.
I am new to persian cuisine and have found that this dish is very easy to prepare. The aromas and the flavors blended well. I added in a little garlic as i like a more stronger flavor to my dishes but did not deviate from the recipie. Thank you Sue! It was Great Tastest great! Easy to Make!