Prep 12 mins
Cook 40 mins
A great vegetarian entree, this is a little bit spicy but can be adjusted to taste. Adapted from a recipe by Molly Katzen.
- Heat oil in large pan; add onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and other spices and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring.
- Stir in fruit juices, mixing well.
- Add tomato paste, blending in, and bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add rinsed beans and peppers and cook for 20 minutes more, or until heated through and flavors have blended.
- Serve stuffed inside of split pita rounds like a sandwich.
i left out the oj and it was still wonderful. Thanks!
Yum. I halved this and left off the jalapenos. Really great flavor. The kids were not huge fans but they prefer plain food and don't always recognize how good something really is! I served this over pearl barley and I liked the combination of almost sweet beans and the creamy pearl barley.
We really like this at our house especially my 7 year old son). Easy to make, slightly sweet, quite an unusual flavor. I usually serve over rice with a side salad.