6 hrs 15 mins
NY Times Magazine, June 28th, 1998.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (3 1/3 lb) roasting chickens, about 3 1/3 lbs. each, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt, from whole milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 large onion, finely chopped, about 2 cups
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Wash chicken and blot dry; cut off any lumps of fat.
- 2For the marinade, place saffron in the bottom of a large nonreactive bowl and pulverize it with a wooden spoon.
- 3Add the warm water and allow it to sit 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in the yogurt, lemon juice, onion, salt and pepper.
- 5Add the chicken and refrigerate, covered, overnight or at least 6 hours.
- 6For the basting, warm the lemon juice over low heat in a small pot.
- 7Pulverize the saffron in a bowl with a wooden spoon, add it to the juice and remove it from the heat.
- 8After 5 minutes, add the butter and gently warm the mixture until it is melted.
- 9When ready to cook, start grill and when goals are white, grill the chicken until tender, about 8-10 minutes, basting with the butter mixture.
- 10Move the chicken around on the grill to avoid burning it.
- 11Season with salt and pepper.
- 12When cooked, the juices will run clear and an inserted skewer will come out very hot to the touch.
- 13Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Marinades and Rubs Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Marinades and Rubs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Persian Grilled Chicken With Saffron
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1288.1
- Calories from Fat 880
- Total Fat 97.8 g
- Saturated Fat 35.0 g
- Cholesterol 414.2 mg
- Sodium 1400.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 87.6 g