Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
posted for ZWT6
- 3 cups pitted dates
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup pistachios, ground unsalted or 1 cup coconut, shredded
- Toast walnuts in skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place a few walnut pieces inside each date. Arrange dates, packed next to each other in a flat 9-inch serving dish.
- In large deep skillet, saute flour in butter over high heat, stirring constantly for about 15 to 20 minutes, toasting until it is golden caramel color.
- Spread hot dough over dates. Pack and smooth it with back of a spoon.
- Combine cinnamon, sugar, cardamom and sprinkle evenly over cake. Sprinkle with 1 cup ground pistachios or shredded coconut all over. Cool.
- Cut into small square pieces. Arrange on serving platter or on plate in which it was made.