Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Traditionally used as a side dish, this recipe goes well along side persian stews and different types of Persian rice. It's similair to the Greek Tzatziki sauce. I learned this Persian recipe from my parents, and mastered it with my own twists.
- 32 fluid ounces plain yogurt (Preferrably Caravan or Abali brands, found at Middle Eastern specialty stores)
- 1⁄2 cup kefir cheese
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 tablespoons mint (dried and crushed)
- 2 tablespoons basil (fresh finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dried rose petals (gol-mohammadi) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (crushed) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- salt (be generous)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix the yougurt and kefir cheese.
- Finely chop the cucumbers and add to yogurt mixture.
- Add basil, mint, salt, pepper, onion powder, raisins, walnuts, and dried rose petals to the mixture.
- Mix well.
- Refrigerate for an hour and serve.