Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
These cream puffs are a completely French invention but with a Persian flair. They look perfectly beautiful and they are certainly hard to resist.
- 236.59 ml water
- 1 stick unsalted margarine (4 oz.)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml flour
- 5 eggs
- 473.19 ml whipping cream, whipped
- 236.59 ml powdered sugar
- garnishing syrup (optional)
- 236.59 ml honey
- 59.14 ml rose water
- 2.46 ml saffron
- 2.46 ml cardamom
- Preheat oven to 400°F Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small nonstick saucepan, bring water, margarine, and salt to a boil. When margarine melts, add flour all at once, stirring rapidly. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook until a ball of dough that detaches easily from the pot forms. Set aside and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the cream filling by beating the whipping cream until it forms peaks. Add the powdered sugar and mixing well. Store in a cool place until ready to use.
- Transfer cooled dough to the bowl of stand mixer fitted with a flat paddle attachment. Add eggs, one by one, making sure each egg has completely incorporated into the dough before adding the next.
- Transfer dough to a pastry bag fitted with a large star pastry tip (Wilton 4B is perfect) or simply use an ice cream scoop to form puffs. Form meringue-like mounds, 3" in diameter and 2" in height, directly on the prepared pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown; transfer puffs to a cooling rack.
- When the puffs are completely cooled, cut in half, using a serrated knife, and fill the cavity with whipped cream.
- Optional: To make the syrup, mix all ingredients in a bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Drizzle cooled syrup on cream puffs right before serving. Can also be served with a drizzle of melted chocolate or sprinkled with powered sugar.