1 hr 20 mins
This is pure heaven!!! Serve with rice or couscous. This is my sister's very own version of the dish she and my BIL enjoyed when they traveled Egypt and parts of the Middle East. The original recipe called for pomegranate puree, but that just isn't easily found here, so she adjusted the recipe to her own taste and availability of ingredients. Thanks, Karen! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat 1 Tbl. oil in a large frying pan and saute chicken until golden brown.
- 2Add half the onion and fry til softened, then add water.
- 3Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes.
- 4In another fry pan, heat remaining oil and fry the rest of the onion for 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add the chopped walnuts and fry for 2-3 more minutes, stirring frequently so the walnuts don't burn.
- 5Stir in pomegranate juice, tomato paste, lemon juice and sugar. Let simmer for 5 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over chicken, ensuring all pieces are coated.
- 6Cover again and simmer for 30-35 minutes until the chicken is done and the oil from the nuts has risen to the surface.
- 7Serve at once with rice or a savory couscous.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Persian Chicken W/Pomegranate and Walnuts
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.3
- Calories from Fat 354
- Total Fat 39.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 92.8 mg
- Sodium 221.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 35.7 g