Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is pure heaven!!! Serve with rice or couscous. This is my sister's very own version of the dish she and my BIL enjoyed when they traveled Egypt and parts of the Middle East. The original recipe called for pomegranate puree, but that just isn't easily found here, so she adjusted the recipe to her own taste and availability of ingredients. Thanks, Karen! :)
- Heat 1 Tbl. oil in a large frying pan and saute chicken until golden brown.
- Add half the onion and fry til softened, then add water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes.
- In another fry pan, heat remaining oil and fry the rest of the onion for 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add the chopped walnuts and fry for 2-3 more minutes, stirring frequently so the walnuts don't burn.
- Stir in pomegranate juice, tomato paste, lemon juice and sugar. Let simmer for 5 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over chicken, ensuring all pieces are coated.
- Cover again and simmer for 30-35 minutes until the chicken is done and the oil from the nuts has risen to the surface.
- Serve at once with rice or a savory couscous.