1/2 Photos of Persian Chicken Stuffed With Rice
1 hr 15 mins
Sephardi Kitchen's Note:
The rice stuffing is very simple to make and turns out beautifully! If barberries are not available, chopped fresh cranberries or sour cherries are a good substitution. Preparation time does not include marinating time. Adapted from Persian Cooking for a Healthy Kitchen" by Najmieh Batmanglij.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 Cornish hens or 1 whole chicken
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon rose water (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried barberries, cleaned, soaked and drained or 1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
- 4 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron (optional)
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- lime slice (to garnish)
- 1Clean and wash hens. Remove fatty portions and fat from cavity. Marinate 6 hours-overnight with a cup or so of apple juice and salt, cinnamon, cumin, onion and a little paprika (all to taste).
- 2Brown the onions and garlic in 1 tbs oil. Add the uncooked rice, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, rosewater, 1 tsp salt, and pepper. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken broth, cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- 3Add the barberries, almonds, raisins, and lime juice to the rice. Mix gently, and cook for several more minutes. Remove from heat. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 4Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stuff the hens with the rice mixture, and tie the cavities shut. Rub each with 1 tsp salt, additional cinnamon, cumin, paprika and 1 tsp sugar.
- 5Place hens in a greased baking dish. Mix saffron (dissolved in hot water- optional) and about 1/4 cup apple juice, and pour over the chicken. Cover pan with foil.
- 6Place in the oven and roast for approximately 45 minutes, or until fully cooked and no longer pink. Baste occasionally.
- 7Garnish with lime slices and enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Persian Chicken Stuffed With Rice
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 183.6
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 54.3 mg
- Sodium 718.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 14.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: