Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A wonderfully flavorful grill recipe for boneless chicken thighs or breast meat if you prefer. Prep time does not include marinating time.
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken thighs
- lemon wedge, to serve
- plain yogurt, to serve
- Soak 8 skewers in water to prevent burning. To make the marinade, whisk together the cardamom, turmeric, allspice, garlic, lemon and oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut each chicken thigh fillet into 1-1 1/2 inch cubes. Toss the cubes in the spice marinade. Thread the chicken onto skewers and place on a tray. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Cook the skewers on a hot, lightly oiled grill or grill pan for 4 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve with lemon wedges and plain yoghurt.
I was really sorry as I finished my skewer, I would like to have more of them!
The spice blend was exceptional and I loved the big portion of cardamom in them!
I baked the skewers with the grill in the kitchen oven and worked perfectly. I added some red peppers and I served the skewers som balkan yogurt and hummus with them.
A great recipe to recommend!
I had 4-5 chicken breasts (would have preferred thighs) used them in this recipe. First, they were
pounded to 12/" thickness. Used our Lodge cast iron griddle and cooked them each
side about 6-7 minutes. Garnished with blooming chives but I would have preferred fresh cilantro but had none on hand. Substituted fresh turmeric for dried. Next time I'll be sure to have chicken thighs for this recipe as that is what we prefer. Served with leftover My Couscous Salad, asparagus and crusty bread. Good! Reviewed for Visiting Persian (Iran) June 2012.
Sorry but this didn't work as well for us. DH didn't complain but he didn't say he loved it and we grilled it on our new bbq, I didn't like the flavour too much I guess I prefer cardamom in sweet dishes and chicken breast for skewers. DD1 (4 years old) said she liked it. I used freshly ground cardamom, freshly squeezed lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, chicken thigh and leg meat, plus mushrooms and white and purple onion on the skewers as well. Made for Visiting Iran(Persia) in June 2012!%u200F