1/2 Photos of Persian Chicken or Duck in Pomegranate Walnut Sauce (Fesenjan)
Fesenjan, also known as khoresht-e fesenjan, is typically made for special occasions in Iran. It is traditionally made with duck or pheasant in the north of the country along the Caspian sea. It is a thick, rich, sweet-sour dish that improves in flavor the next day. Pomegranate syrup, sometimes called pomegranate molasses, is available in most Middle Eastern and health food stores (make sure it does not say "sour" ) If using fresh pomegranate juice, use 1 1/2 to 2 cups and reduce the stock or water. Adding a 1/2 tsp ground cardamom or 1/2 tsp cinnamon when sautéing the onions will add a richer flavor. Add more sugar if the sauce is too tart, or lime or lemon juice if it is too sweet. A peeled and cubed eggplant is sometimes added. Sauté the eggplant along with the onions. You may need to add a little more liquid as it simmers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup oil
- 2 1/2-3 lbs chicken (cut up, bone-in) or 2 1/2-3 lbs duck (cut up, bone-in)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups walnuts, finely ground in a food processor
- 1 1/2-2 cups chicken stock or 1 1/2-2 cups water
- 2/3 cup pomegranate syrup (see notes in description if using juice)
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1Sprinkle meat with lime juice and allow to marinate for 1-4 hours.
- 2Over medium heat in a large, heavy-bottomed pot heat an 1/8 cup (2 Tablespoons) of the butter or oil until shimmering.
- 3Add the chicken/duck pieces a few at a time and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- 4Add onions (and eggplant if using - see notes in description) and sauté in remaining butter or oil until translucent.
- 5Stir in ground walnuts and saute for 1/2 a minute.
- 6Add stock or water and browned chicken/duck pieces. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer 20-30 minutes.
- 7Stir in the pomegranate juice, sugar, salt and pepper.
- 8Taste and adjust seasoning. Sauce should have a balanced sweet-sour flavor. See notes to adjust.
- 9Simmer another 15-20 minutes until the chicken/duck is tender, sauce is somewhat thickened and the walnuts begin to give off their oil. Serve with plain white rice.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Persian Chicken or Duck in Pomegranate Walnut Sauce (Fesenjan)
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1176.3
- Calories from Fat 841
- Total Fat 93.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.4 g
- Cholesterol 245.8 mg
- Sodium 432.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 64.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: