Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a delicious stew that I adapted from a Persian recipe. The crockpot gives the dish authentic flavor without the all day fuss. Serve over basmati rice.
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 lb beef, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed then minced
- 2 tablespoons dried mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 fresh tomatoes, sliced
- THE NIGHT BEFORE:.
- Pull stalks of celery apart and set the celery heart aside.
- Rinse, then slice the ribs of celery on the diagonal into 1 inch chunks and place in refrigerator storage dish.
- Starting from the bottom, finely slice the celery heart, including the pale yellow leaves and add to celery chunks. Add chopped onions, mint, tumeric and garlic to refrigerator dish and store until ready to place in crock pot.
- IN THE MORNING BEFORE LEAVING FOR WORK:.
- Spray crock pot with Pam.
- Place beef in pan.
- Add celery mixture.
- Then add the lemon juice.
- Pour in can of diced tomatoes on top.
- Stir just to blend.
- Pour tomato sauce over celery mixture and top with sliced tomatoes.
- Cook on low all day, up to 10 hours.
- Serve with basmati rice.