Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a great Persian dish that isn't too spicy. Substitute any kind of meat of pultry you want.
Make and share this Persian Beef and Couscous recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless beef roast, in 3/4 inch chunks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄4 cups beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 8 ounces white pearl onions, peeled
- 8 ounces butternut squash or 8 ounces sweet potatoes, in 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup pitted prune
- 3⁄4 cup couscous (or quick cooking brown rice)
- Heat oil on medium high.
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper and brown in oil for 5-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add stock and cinnamon, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in onions, squash or sweet potato, vinegar, and honey, bring back to a boil Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook couscous in another pot.
- Add prunes and chick peas to stew, cover, and heat just until mixture returns to a boil (about 2 minutes).
- Serve stew over couscous.
This recipe is great as is. The combination of flavors is unusual but delicious! The only thing I would change is 2 tbsp. vinegar instead of 3.