Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
Ukrainian Christmas treat.
Make and share this Peroshke recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (8 g) packages fast-rising active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 (16 ounce) cans sauerkraut
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- Combine yeast, warm water and sugar; let stand 10 minutes. Heat milk and 1 tbsp butter until lukewarm. Beat together sugar and eggs. Add yeast mixture, egg mixture, oil, salt and 3 cups of flour together.
- Knead well with 5 cups of flour. Let rise in a warm place until double in size.
- Drain sauerkraut well. Fry bacon in pan and add onion. Sweat the onions and then add the sauerkraut. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pinch off 1 inch balls. Flatten with palm of hand. Place 1 tsp of sauerkraut filling on half and fold over. Pinch edges together and shape into a bun. Place on greased cookie sheet and brush with 1 beaten egg. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. When done brush with melted butter. Melt butter and add garlic. Serve with garlic butter poured over top.