Recipe by * Pamela *
Easy to make and freezes great! I would recommend baking it before freezing to blend flavours.**edited on October 24 to add instructions for Once a Month Cooking (see step 11). These is great to make during a cooking blitz especially when you are already making a traditional lasagne. It is easy to cook up some additional noodles and make this at the same time.**
- 12 cooked lasagna noodles
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup bacon bits
- 1 onion, chopped and cooked until clear
- 4 -6 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together cottage cheese, egg and onion salt.
- In another bowl, mix together 1/2 cup cheese, mashed potatoes, bacon bits and onion.
- Line bottom of a 9 X 13 inch pan with 4 noodles.
- Spread first mixture evenly on top.
- Add 4 additional noodles and cover evenly with potato mixture.
- Top with remaining 4 noodles, remaining cheese and bacon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream.
- For best flavour, bake ahead and reheat.
- *My Husband doesn't really like cottage cheese, so I will often make this with 2 layers of the potato instead of the cottage cheese layer*.
- **For OAMC: I make as directed and then freeze. (For better flavour bake before freezing) Defrost overnight and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. OR bake from frozen for 1 hour 30 minutes or until heated through.**.