Recipe by foodtvfan
For perogy lovers everywhere. An easy to make meal with frozen Cheemo potato and cheddar cheese perogy, or your favorite kind of frozen perogy. A nice combination of bacon, onion, and tomatoes. Adjust the seasonings and quantity of garlic to taste. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese or another favorite cheese if you like, and some sour cream.
Top Review by GaylaV
What a nice change to an old standard. It won't replace the original but will appear on our table again. I wasn't sure I would like the thyme but it smelled and tasted really good. The only change I might make is to make the bacon a bit crispy and then take it out and do the rest of the sauce. Just before serving I would put the crispy bacon back in. I really do love a crispy element in my foods. Just a thought as it really tasted nice as it was. Thanks for the recipe.
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes or 1 (19 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 12 -14 frozen potatoes, and cheese perogy (Cheemo potato and cheddar cheese)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a deep skillet, cook chopped bacon, chopped onion, garlic and thyme, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until bacon is browned. Spoon off fat.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper, and sugar; bring to a boil, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon.
- Cook sauce over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- While sauce is cooking, boil Cheemo perogy according to package directions in a large pot. Drain well and return cooked perogy to the pot.
- Add parsley to the sauce.
- Add sauce to the perogy. Gently turn perogy in the sauce with a spatula to coat well.
- Serve immediately with grated Parmesan Cheese and/or sour cream.