This is a long recipe...sort of fitting, cause if you're crazy enough to make your own perogies it's going to take you a good part of your day! In the mushroom filling, we always use Portobellini mushrooms for a stronger mushroom taste. In any of the fillings you can adjust the quantities to suit your own personal taste. We LOVE garlic so we saw no problem with using 20 cloves in the potato and roasted garlic filling (roasting mellows out the flavor)!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chopped cooked mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed (optional)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Potato and Roasted Garlic Filling
- 2 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut up
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 20 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
Potato Cheddar Bacon and Onion Filling
- 1To make dough: In large bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- 2In medium bowl, whisk together milk, sour cream and eggs.
- 3Stir into dry ingredients just until a soft, rough dough forms.
- 4Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead for about one minute or just until smooth.
- 5Divide into quarters and wrap each quarter in plastic wrap.
- 6Let rest for 20 minutes.
- 7Makes enough dough for about 90 perogies.
- 8To make Mushroom Filling: Saute onion in butter until tender.
- 9Add mushrooms and cook together for about 10 minutes.
- 10Add salt and pepper.
- 11Remove from heat and beat in egg yolks and optional dillweed.
- 12Chill thoroughly in fridge.
- 13Makes enough to fill one dough recipe.
- 14To make Potato& Roasted Garlic Filling: Cook potatoes until tender.
- 15Mash when done.
- 16Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat oil on medium-high heat.
- 17Add garlic and reduce to medium-low heat.
- 18Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until garlic is tender but not browned.
- 19Mash garlic and add to mashed potatoes.
- 20Blend in milk, cream cheese, salt and pepper.
- 21Stir just until smooth.
- 22Cool to room temperature.
- 23Makes enough to fill one dough recipe.
- 24To make Potato, Cheddar, Bacon& Onion Filling: Fry bacon until very crisp.
- 25Crumble and set aside.
- 26Cook potatoes until tender.
- 27Mash when done.
- 28Meanwhile, discard all but 1 tbsp bacon fat.
- 29In remaining tbsp, cook onion until soft.
- 30To hot mashed potatoes, add shredded cheddar.
- 31Mix until cheese is melted.
- 32Add cooked onion and crisp bacon.
- 33Stir just until combined.
- 34Cool to room temperature.
- 35Makes enough to fill one dough recipe.
- 36To fill perogies: On lightly floured surface roll out one of the quarters of dough into a 17 inch circle.
- 37Using pastry brush, brush off excess flour.
- 38Using a 3 inch round cutter, cut dough into circles.
- 39Make circles as close together as possible to minimize the number or rerolls (dough gets tougher each time you reroll it).
- 40Wrap scraps in plastic wrap and place back into fridge.
- 41Either choose to make all one type of perogy or adjust each filling recipe to make a variety.
- 42Place rounded 1 tsp filling in center of circle.
- 43Fold dough over filling to form semicircle.
- 44Pinch edges together firmly to seal.
- 45Dust perogy lightly with flour and place on baking sheet.
- 46Cover with dish towel as you continue to make the perogies.
- 47Once all 4 quarters have been used, reroll all scraps and continue until no filling remains.
- 48To cook perogies, place in slowly boiling water until they float to the top (rapidly boiling water may break them apart).
- 49Do not crowd.
- 50To prevent sticking once cooked, toss gently with a little veggie oil or butter.
- 51Perogies may be served now with sour cream or placed in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- 52Once cooled to room temperature, freeze until firm.
- 53Package in freezer bags.
- 54To reheat, either place frozen perogies in gently boiling water until heated through or place frozen perogies in frying pan and fry on both sides until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perogies With 3 Different Fillings
Serving Size: 1 (5255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 100.9
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 20.6 mg
- Sodium 174.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 3.0 g