Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a meal-in-one easy casserole to make. Make ahead and keep it in the fridge until 1 hour before serving. Allow 15 minutes to let the cassserole dish get to room temperature before popping it into the oven. Add more or less veggies; vary the veggies. I like these veggies because it make a very attractive casserole.
- 1 kg potato & cheese pierogi (cheddar)
- 1 1⁄2 cups baby carrots, cleaned
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 banana peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli florets, raw
- 1 cup cauliflower floret, raw
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- bacon bits (optional)
- Pop the perogies into boiling salted water; stir so they do not stick to the bottom of the pot; bring back to a boil and when they float to the top, add the carrots to the pot. Allow to cook for 5 minutes longer Drain carrots and perogies.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet, add 1 tsp oil and saute the onions and mushrooms until the onions are translucent. Add the peppers and saute another two minutes.
- Mix the perogies and onion mixture together.
- Pour into a lightly oiled large casserole dish (9"x14"x3").
- Arrange the tomatoes, broccoli, and cauliflower artistically on top of the perogies.
- Sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree fahrenheit oven for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake a further 15 minutes, allowing the cheese to slightly brown.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream and, if you wish, bacon bits. Just let everyone add their own at the table.
This was great. I usually find perogies rather bland but this has great flavor with the veggies. The dish looked very colourful. I will be making this again. Thank you Bergy.
Great casserole, Bergy. You are right, it is very colorful and had great eye-appeal. Didn't have any cauliflower so I sub'ed zucchini and yellow squash. Topped mine with a little bit of salsa and crumbled up cooked bacon. Very tasty and versatile. Thanks for the recipe.
Awesome! I omitted the hot peppers and added green peppers. (I have small children) What a great way to incorporate as many veggies as you want into a" not so healthy" meal! We ate half the amount of perogies that we normally would and got in those veggies that we sometimes lack!! Thanks for a great alternative recipe!! will make many times in the future!