Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
The Provencal version of pesto, this pistou is enlivened with the addition of Pernod! Stir into soups (particularly suited to tomato or minestrone soup; garnish with fennel), or spread onto slices of garlic-rubbed toasted baguette. Delicious!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted almonds, toasted
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, washed and patted dry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Pernod
- Process the olive oil, garlic, and almonds in a food processor or blender until a paste forms.
- Add the basil and continue to process until the basil has been completely incorporated into the paste. Add the salt, pepper, and Pernod. Process until a rather thick sauce forms.
- Pour into a clean jar, cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Note: Alternatively, the pistou can be hand crushed and mixed together in a mortar with a pestle.