Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a luscious variation of a standard creamed spinach. It is full-flavored and mouthwatering. A more classic version would be to leave out the mushrooms.
- 3 lbs fresh spinach, washed, cooked, drained, and chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 6 slices bacon, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 ounce Pernod
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- seasoned dry bread crumb
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- Cook spinach in chicken stock. Drain well and chop.
- In a heavy skillet, cook bacon, drain fat and set aside.
- In same skillet, melt butter and sauté onions, celery, garlic and mushrooms until soft and tender.
- Add spinach, after pressing out as much liquid as possible; stir in crumbled bacon, lemon juice, sour cream, Pernod, salt, pepper, Tabasco, sugar and blend well.
- Place in a casserole dish, top with breadcrumbs and sliced boiled eggs. Dust with paprika, pass under broiler until browned.
This is outstanding! I followed the recipe, leaving out the mushrooms tho, as I was serving a savory mushroom bread pudding with a roast tenderloin.The pernod( which I love anyway!:) ) adds a depth of flavor and compliments the spinach mixture nicely. I made this ahead of time and then heated in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes,til the top was slightly browned and it was bubbling. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe!