Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
I searched a while for a really good potato pancake recipe. Several I tried were too bland for our tastes, or just too dry. This one from Quick Cooking is moist, flavorful, and just a fabulous side dish for any meat entree. Bravo to the chef!
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chive & onion cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- Peel and grate the potatoes.
- Squeeze excess moisture from potatoes with paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and flour until blended.
- Stir in egg, cream, onion salt, and cayenne pepper until smooth.
- Add potatoes and cheese and mix well.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/8 inch of oil to 375°F.
- Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls into skillet and press lightly to flatten.
- Fry for approximately 5 minutes per side or until potatoes are tender and golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Note; To freeze potato pancakes, arrange in a single layer on baking sheet/ Freeze overnight/ Place in a resealable plastic bag/ Can be frozen up to 2 months/ To bake, place frozen pancakes on a lightly greased baking sheet/ Bake at 400F for 10 to 12 minutes or until heated through.