Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Never mind buying those little EXPENSIVE packets of taco seasonings ever again. You have all the herbs on your shelf (I hope!) to make PERFECTLY seasoned taco meat every time!
- Saute meat (and onion if using fresh); drain fat if necessary; turn heat to low.
- Sprinkle dried onion, herbs and seasonings over the meat; stir to mix well.
- Add water; stirring again.
- Cover and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes, until most of the water has been absorbed; remove lid and let dry; remove from heat.
- USES: Tacos, burritoes, enchiladas, taco salad, sloppy taco joes, nachoes, taco dip.
- BRILLIANT IDEA: Pour dried onion flakes, seasonings and herbs into a pile on a small square of foil. Close tightly, store in a zippered plastic baggie. Use as you would a store-bought packet!
I will never buy taco seasoning again. I do add at least a tsp of cummin as well.
Tastes great! Added 1 tsp cumin plus a small can of tomato sauce along with a 1/4 cup water and let simmer...mmmm!
We really liked this. It was a nice homey kind of Taco meat. With all your fixings, this is a new fave! I added 1 tsp cumin, went with 2 tsp chili and added a titch more oregano. Definite keeper for me.