Recipe by Debber
Never mind buying those little EXPENSIVE packets of taco seasonings ever again. You have all the herbs on your shelf (I hope!) to make PERFECTLY seasoned taco meat every time!
- 1 lb ground beef (or venison or turkey, combination)
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes (dried, or 1 fresh, medium onion, chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder (or more)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (NOT salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute meat (and onion if using fresh); drain fat if necessary; turn heat to low.
- Sprinkle dried onion, herbs and seasonings over the meat; stir to mix well.
- Add water; stirring again.
- Cover and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes, until most of the water has been absorbed; remove lid and let dry; remove from heat.
- USES: Tacos, burritoes, enchiladas, taco salad, sloppy taco joes, nachoes, taco dip.
- BRILLIANT IDEA: Pour dried onion flakes, seasonings and herbs into a pile on a small square of foil. Close tightly, store in a zippered plastic baggie. Use as you would a store-bought packet!