You must know that my favorite cookies are the Perfectly Puffy Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are Bill's favorite, too. But, you must also know that I played around with different variations of it and this is one of my favorite variations. It's just a simple substitution of butterscotch pudding for the vanilla, then adding in butterscotch chips to the batter. I'll use this moment, as well, to give you some advice about achieving the puffiness of the cookies. A few weeks ago, someone suggested that if you are not getting puffy cookies then you should check your baking soda. I found this tip to be quite helpful as I had flat cookies for the first time from this recipe and then the next day made them again with a new box of baking soda with puffy results. Many of us like to hold on to our baking soda for over a month, but for the sake of these cookies I would ensure your baking soda has not been opened for more than a month. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Butter Flavor Crisco (stick)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda (see note)
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugars, butter and Crisco until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla extract. Add pudding mix; stir until incorporated.
- 3In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of the flour with the baking soda and salt. Blend into the egg mixture.
- 4Add additional flour 1/2 to 1 cup at a time until reaching desired consistency. I use a total of 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour, depending on the humidity level of the day.
- 5Fold in chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
- 6Drop spoonfuls of dough on cookie sheet. (To achieve a more round, cleaner look, roll the balls of cookie dough in your hand instead of just dropping on the cookie sheet.) Bake exactly 10 minutes, rotating cookie sheet halfway through. The cookies may not look done, but that is the trick to keeping them puffy and soft. Let cookies cool on the cookie sheet on top of wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets and cool completely on the cooling racks.
- 7*RECIPE NOTE: Make sure your baking soda has not been opened over 1 month.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfectly Puffy Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (59 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.2
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 28.0 mg
- Sodium 254.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 21.5 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
instant butterscotch pudding mix