2 hrs 14 mins
2 hrs 6 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, from "Modernist Cuisine at Home". Although sodium citrate sounds gross, it is an emulsifying salt that allows you to make ANY cheese into slices that melt as perfectly as American-style sandwich cheese does (and how do you think the processed cheeses get that way, eh?). Of course, it is available through Amazon.com or the Modernist Pantry. If you omit the sodium citrate, the cheese will separate when it melts. These slices are for cheeseburgers, grilled cheese sandwiches, vegetables, apple pie, or any other dish needing a melted cheese that doesn't separate. The preparation time includes refrigeration setting time. The slices will keep 10 days when refrigerated or up to 2 months when frozen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to its lowest temperature.
- 2Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat, or lightly oil the sheet, and place it in the oven to warm while you prepare the cheese.
- 4Combine beer or water with sodium citrate in a pot. Stir until dissolved. Then bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 6Add the grated cheeses gradually to the simmering liquid. Use an immersion blender to blend in each addition until it has melted and is completely smooth.
- 7Pour the liquid cheese mixture onto the warm baking sheet. Tip the sheet as needed to form an even layer. Alternatively, pour the cheese into a mold coated with cooking spray. (A silicone tart mold would form 3 1/8-inch diameter circles).
- 8Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until fully set, at least 2 hours.
- 9Cut into rounds or squares 7.5 cm or 3 inches across. Place plastic wrap or parchment paper between the slices to prevent them from sticking together, and store refrigerated or frozen.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfectly Melting Cheese Slice
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 241.0
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 51.7 mg
- Sodium 355.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: