Recipe by Chef amfox
This is a very easy roast chicken that most anyone can handle. Best part is it's healthy & can truly impress!
Top Review by william.cook1944
This really was a very easy recipe to follow and still tastes wonderful. My kids also loved it and they usually hate anything with vegetables. I also appreciated that it was pretty inexpensive. I fed a family of 5 with the asparagus salad by the same chef all for under $20 with some leftover chicken and veggies!
- 1 (5 -6 lb) roasting chickens
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 2 cups carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 fennel bulb, tops removed, and cut into wedges
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place the onions, carrots, and fennel in a roasting pan. Toss with salt, pepper, 20 sprigs of thyme, and olive oil. Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top.
- Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables.