Recipe by newmama
I made this cake after looking at a few recipes and mixing them together. The cake itself is not too sweet and would make wonderful muffins. With the cream cheese frosting, it's is absolutely perfect.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple, mostly drained
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄8 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lb powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- For the cake:
- preheat the oven to 350.
- combine dry ingredients well.
- whisk together eggs, applesauce, oil, vanilla.
- stir the wet ingredients into the dry until combined, don't over mix.
- fold in carrots, pineapple and nuts.
- pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish and bake 40-50 minutes until done.
- cool completely.
- For the frosting:.
- cream butter, cream cheese, vanilla and sugar with beaters on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- *I don't usually add all of the sugar. Start with a cup or two and taste, add more to get desired sweetness.