Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
My husband and I have perfected the Nacho! This recipe is the result of many trials and errors, and somewhat nasty nachos. NOTE: The spice quantity added to the beef is VERY approximate; I just sprinkle on the spices until I think it tastes good. We like it spicy, and not salty, like the packaged taco seasonings. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onion
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (Mexican oregano is the best, but Italian works, too)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
For cheese sauce
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes (this is approximate depending on how much yummy cheesiness you want)
- 1 cup salsa (also approximate. add enough to spice up the Velveeta)
- sliced green onion, both white and green parts
- sliced black olives
- guacamole or sliced avocado
- sour cream
- tortilla chips (We use Mission triangle chips because they're durable)
- Brown beef in skillet with all of the spices. Adjust spice according to taste. Drain fat.
- Combine Velveeta and salsa in a bowl. Microwave, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
- Arrange a layer, or mound, of chips on a plate, and top with meat first, then cheese (acts like glue so meat doesn't roll off the chip when it's on the way to your mouth), then toppings.
I didn't think the meat mixture was too spicy at all - must be a subjective taste I guess.. Anyhow - I loved these nachos! I much prefer the cheese sauce over melted cheese, which hardens quickly and leaves you with one big welded nacho.. Velveeta is the best! I also used my own fresh-fried corn chips, which I suggest people do to get the most wonderful nacho ever. (Just slice up some fresh corn tortillas and deep-fry till crisp).. My toppings were diced tomato, green onion, sliced black olives and pickled jalapeno slices.. guac and sour cream. Delicious.
I think the amount of cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes is way too much. Be very careful to reduce these tremendously!