Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
I adopted this recipe in Aug. 2006 & will add input whenever I prepare it. It originally was posted Dec 11, 2002. Original comments: "The best vodka sauce I've ever had. Restaurants wish they had this recipe. Really, it's true."
- olive oil, to cover 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 lbs plum tomatoes, diced (about 10)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup vodka
- 1⁄4 lb prosciutto, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped (NOT DRIED! MUST BE FRESH!!)
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream
- In a large frying/saute pan add oil, butter and garlic, saute on low flame until oil starts to bubble.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cook covered on a low flame for about 30 minutes.
- Add vodka.
- Cook uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Add prosciutto-- cook 5 more minutes.
- Add basil and heavy cream-- cook just 5 more minutes.
- SERVE IT NOW!
- I like this over penne pasta.
- I only use Barilla.
This vodka sauce is delicious! I made it for the holidays for my family....including my 5 picky children! They do not like lumps in their sauce, so I used tomato puree as a substitute and light cream instead of heavy. I also love Barilla pasta and since we are trying to eat healthier for the new year, I've been using Barilla Plus multigrain penne.......sooo good!!
In my opinion, this is a 10 star vodka sauce recipe. The best I've tried by a LONG shot!! I used about 3 tablespoons of EVOO and doubled the garlic. I added a few shakes of crushed red peppers and increased the tomatoes a bit. I doubled the prosciutto (for my meat loving husband) and used 1/2 and 1/2 in place of the heavy cream. UNBELIEVABLE!!! This goes into my top 10 italian pasta recipes of all time. Deosn't seem like it should, given the ingredients...but if you follow the directions and cooking time, the melding of flavors is insane. This is definitely company worthy as well. Served this over rotini pasta alongside a romaine salad. There wasn't a drop left. Will make this weekly for sure. Thank you for posting.
Bethany, this is a very tasty sauce! I followed your directions to the letter and was rewarded with a very yummy dinner. I tossed it with mini penne and for the first time in a long time, I didn't even add any cheese. The next day, the leftovers were just as good.