Recipe by newspapergal
I adopted this recipe in Aug. 2006 & will add input whenever I prepare it. It originally was posted Dec 11, 2002. Original comments: "The best vodka sauce I've ever had. Restaurants wish they had this recipe. Really, it's true."
Top Review by Angelie122
This vodka sauce is delicious! I made it for the holidays for my family....including my 5 picky children! They do not like lumps in their sauce, so I used tomato puree as a substitute and light cream instead of heavy. I also love Barilla pasta and since we are trying to eat healthier for the new year, I've been using Barilla Plus multigrain penne.......sooo good!!
- olive oil, to cover 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 lbs plum tomatoes, diced (about 10)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup vodka
- 1⁄4 lb prosciutto, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped (NOT DRIED! MUST BE FRESH!!)
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large frying/saute pan add oil, butter and garlic, saute on low flame until oil starts to bubble.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cook covered on a low flame for about 30 minutes.
- Add vodka.
- Cook uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Add prosciutto-- cook 5 more minutes.
- Add basil and heavy cream-- cook just 5 more minutes.
- SERVE IT NOW!
- I like this over penne pasta.
- I only use Barilla.