Recipe by MzMombo
I developed this recipe after struggling for many years with disappointing homemade vinaigrettes. Perfect Vinaigrette Base takes the guesswork out of salad dressings. The correct amount of salt is dissolved into the base, and lemon juice tames the vinegar. It keeps for at least 3 months, refrigerated -- a recycled soy sauce bottle makes a great dispenser. Directions for making a salad with Perfect Vinaigrette Base start at step #5 (I apologize for the confusion this may cause, but I couldn't figure out how to list this as two linked recipes!). It's easy to tweak the dressing to match your salad greens, be they mild or robust, by adjusting the water as described in step #8.
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe measuring cup.
- Microwave until warm, 30-45 seconds.
- Stir to dissolve salt.
- Pour liquid into glass jar, discarding garlic solids, and refrigerate.
- To Make a Salad: In salad bowl, combine 1 tablespoon Perfect Vinaigrette Base, 1 tablespoon water, 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Add 6 cups torn salad greens (and a small chopped tomato, if desired).
- Toss together and taste.
- Now, here's the big secret: If dressing seems too strong, add another 1-2 tablespoons water (mild greens will need the extra water).
- And another hint -- use a mild olive oil with mild greens, and a more assertive olive oil with robust greens.